I usually do a stuffed Bell Pepper for Eric
6-8 portobello mushrooms
Hot Italian sausage
1 cup dry quinoa
1 can diced fire roasted tomatoes, drained
5 celery stalks, chopped
1 yellow onion, diced
2 cups chicken broth
Bread crumbs (I use panko; ~1/2-1 cup? I always eyeball this)
1. Cook quinoa in chicken broth as you normally would prepare it.
2. Remove sausage from casing and sauté. Set aside.
3. To the same pan, sauté onion and celery until soft.
4. Add fire roasted tomatoes to pan and cook until warm.
5. Meanwhile, prepare the portobellos. Wash and scrape out insides of mushrooms (I always add these to the pan of veggies cause I figure it just adds more nutrients and reduces waste!) Arrange mushrooms in a greased roasting pan.
6. Transfer contents of pan, cooked quinoa and the sausage to a large bowl. Add breadcrumbs and stir to incorporate. Add Parmesan until the stuffing sticks together.
7. Fill mushrooms with the stuffing and sprinkle with additional Parmesan cheese, if desired.
8. Bake uncovered at 350 F for 30-40 minutes or until the mushrooms are cooked and the parmesan on top is browned.
Extra filling saves great and doesn’t need to be cooked in the oven.