This vegetarian Thai green curry is made with chickpeas, ginger, garlic, turmeric, green curry paste, and lemongrass. The ultimate bowl of healthy comfort food served over brown rice!
- For the brown rice:
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 cup uncooked short grain brown rice
- For the Thai green curry:
- 2 teaspoons olive oil or coconut oil
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup diced green onion
- 2 stalks lemongrass, tender white inner bulb only, minced
- 1 heaping cup diced carrots (about 3 large carrots)
- 1 tablespoon freshly minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons finely diced fresh basil
- 2 tablespoons green curry paste (yellow curry paste works too! I just then decreased the amount of turmeric by half)
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric (or 1/2 tablespoon freshly ground turmeric)
- 1 (15 ounce) can lite coconut milk (or full fat)
- 1/2 cup vegetarian broth (or water)
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon gluten free soy sauce (or coconut aminos)
- 1 lime, juiced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 cup frozen peas
- To garnish: Cilantro, green onion & hot sauce
- To make the brown rice: Add one cup of brown rice to a pan along with 1 teaspoon of coconut oil. Toast rice over medium heat for 5 minutes until fragrant. Next and 2 1/2 cups of water to a pot; bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for about 45 minutes.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium high heat. Once oil is hot, add in garlic, green onion, lemongrass, carrots, fresh ginger, and diced fresh basil. Stir fry for about 5 minute until the onions begin to slightly brown. Next add in green curry paste and turmeric and stir for 30 seconds to release flavors.
- Add in coconut milk, vegetarian broth, chickpeas, soy sauce, lime juice, salt and red bell pepper. Stir well to combine. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low and simmer uncovered for about 20 minutes, or until carrots are tender. Right before serving, stir in frozen peas. Taste and adjust seasonings as necessary.
- Serve over brown rice in a bowl and garnish with fresh cilantro, green onion and a dash of hot sauce if you like things spicy. Serves 4.
*You can leave out the lemongrass and still get fabulous flavor! I know it can be difficult to find. I usually get mine from Whole Foods.
If you’d like more protein in this dish, add another can of chickpeas, or if you aren’t vegetarian/vegan, you can add 1/2 pound of chopped cooked chicken breast.