Might be one of my new favorites
- 1 box of Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix standard 8.5 oz box
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 egg
- 1 small can diced green chiles 4.5 ounce can
- (OR I did one batch of homemade corn bread with the recipe o the back of cornmeal box – sub whole wheat flour. If you do this pull aside about 3 muffins worth of the batter before adding in the green chilies. Use for porridge! :))
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon pepper
- TAMALE PIE
- 1 ¼ cup enchilada sauce
- 2 cups of shredded cheese I used sharp white cheddar
- OPTIONAL TOPPINGS
- Sour Cream
- Shredded Cheese (I like it with just this topping!)
- Lime wedges
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
Whisk together Jiffy Corn Muffin Mix, milk, and egg. Gently fold in chiles and corn. Pour into greased baking pan (9×9, 9×13, large cast iron skillet). Bake until set (a toothpick should come out clean), about 20-25 minutes.
While cornbread is baking, combine beef with spices and sauté in a skillet over medium heat until fully cooked, about 10 minutes. Drain and set aside.
Once cornbread is done baking, reduce oven to 350 degree F. Poke holes in cornbread with a fork and pour enchilada sauce over it. Top with ground beef and shredded cheese, and cover with aluminum foil. Bake in oven for 20 minutes. Remove foil and back until cheese begins to brown, about 5-10 minutes.
Let cool for 10-15 minutes before serving with desired toppings. Cheese on it is REALLY good!